Bergman votes for National Defense Authorization Act
Washington – Congressman Jack Bergman, retired Marine Corps Lt. General, released the following statement after voting to support the FY19 NDAA:
“Having served in uniform as Commander of Marine Forces North and Marine Forces Reserve, I know that stability, consistency, and certainty is critical for our military to carry out its missions. Providing for the common defense of our nation is Congress’ top priority and this package will give our men and women in uniform the resources they need to successfully defend our nation and our allies.”
Earlier this week, Congressman Bergman spoke on the House floor in support of the FY19 NDAA. Included in this years NDAA is report language highlighting the critical role the Soo Locks play in national security.
The FY19 NDAA Includes:
- A 2.6% pay raise for our troops, the largest in almost a decade;
- Needed reforms to DoD’s procurement process and bureaucracy;
- Funding for co-development and production of defense systems with our ally Israel;
- Increased funding to rebuild our military strength on land, air, and sea;
- Key investments to address aggression from Russia, China, North Korea, and Iran; and
- Funding for the LCS program, ensuring hundreds of jobs for Upper Peninsula workers.